Leaves of Grass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series): First and “Death-Bed” Editions
leaves Of Grass, By Walt Whitman, Is Part Of The barnes & Noble Classics series, Which Offers Quality Editions At Affordable Prices To The Student And The General Reader, Including New Scholarship, Thoughtful Design, And Pages Of Carefully Crafted Extras. Here Are Some Of The Remarkable Features Of barnes & Noble Classics:
- new Introductions Commissioned From Today’s Top Writers And Scholars
- biographies Of The Authors
- chronologies Of Contemporary Historical, Biographical, And Cultural Events
- footnotes And Endnotes
- selective Discussions Of Imitations, Parodies, Poems, Books, Plays, Paintings, Operas, Statuary, And Films Inspired By The Work
- comments By Other Famous Authors
- study Questions To Challenge The Reader’s Viewpoints And Expectations
- bibliographies For Further Reading
- indices & Glossaries, When Appropriate
all Editions Are Beautifully Designed And Are Printed To Superior Specifications; Some Include Illustrations Of Historical Interest. barnes & Noble Classics pulls Together A Constellation Of Influences—biographical, Historical, And Literary—to Enrich Each Reader’s Understanding Of These Enduring Works.
when leaves Of Grass Was First Published In 1855 As A Slim Tract Of Twelve Untitled Poems, Walt Whitman Was Still An Unknown. But His Self-published Volume Soon Became A Landmark Of Poetry, Introducing The World To A New And Uniquely American Form. The Father Of Free Verse, Whitman Drew Upon The Cadence Of Simple, Even Idiomatic Speech To Sing Such Themes As Democracy, Sexuality, And Frank Autobiography.
throughout His Prolific Writing Career, Whitman Continually Revised His Work And Expanded Leaves Of Grass, Which Went Through Nine, Substantively Different Editions, Culminating In The Final, Authoritative Death-bed Edition. Now The Original 1855 Version And The death-bed Edition Of 1892 Have Been Brought Together In A Single Volume, Allowing The Reader To Experience The Total Scope Of Whitman’s Genius, Which Produced Love Lyrics, Visionary Musings, Glimpses Of Nightmare And Ecstasy, Celebrations Of The Human Body And Spirit, And Poems Of Loneliness, Loss, And Mourning.
1 in stock